Friday, February 24, 2017

BLT Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing: a BYU food memory

When I was in college one of my favorite things to get as a special treat for lunch was a BLT salad with honey mustard dressing from the salad and wrap place at the student union building food court (aka the Cougar Eat). This was the perfect salad, and it was served with a white or wheat roll and a little pad of butter. The dressing came on the side, so I could put the perfect amount on. I don't know why, but the BLT-ness was great with the honey mustard dressing. Sounds weird? I know, but it wasn't.

So....I decided to try to recreate this salad at home for dinner one night. And it was so close to being amazing! My one mistake: I bought croutons and forgot to get them out at dinner time. 😔 So sad. Otherwise, it was just like being back in the food court on campus!




BLT Salad
Lettuce or salad mix
Tomatoes, chopped
Cucumber, chopped
Bacon, cooked and crumbled
Shredded cheddar cheese
CROUTONS!!! don't be a fool and forget like I did. Every BLT needs a bit of bread!
Honey Mustard Dressing. I got Ken's Steak House brand. I think this is the same kind they had on campus. But you could also use ranch or whatever you like.

Build your salad to perfection and enjoy!

Husband's reaction: he loves salad, so I knew he'd like it. I'm still not sure how the dressing was for him. He was nice and said he liked it, but he's more of a vinegrette guy.

1 comment:

Becca Jane said...

I'm putting this on my menu plan!